Monday, June 18, 2012

The Challenges of Care Partnering

This post title is taken directly from Anne Cutter Mikkelsen's book Take Charge of Parkinson's Disease: Dynamic Lifestyle Changes to put You in the Driver's Seat .  The mailman just delivered my copy of Anne's book and I have spent much of the afternoon reading some of the chapters and purusing the recipes. The chapter titled, When a Spouse Becomes a Caregiver, by Nanette J. Davis, Ph.D. lists nine positive aspects of care partnering; she refers to these as "gifts", and they are:
     1. Having an open heart.
     2. Connecting with the generations.
     3. Expanding your coping abilities.
     4. Willingness to experience role reversal.
     5. Reinvigorating family relationships.
     6. Strengthening bonds with the community.
     7. Giving back to others.
     8. Expressing our spiritual values.
     9. The importance of self-care.

As I read about each of these I came to know how they truely are gifts to me as I face my own journey with Parkinson's.  I am reminded of the miraculous blessing it is to have a Father in Heaven who knows and loves me enough to have helped me open each of these gifts as I have cared for Don and our son, Scott, so that I would have these "present" in my life as I confront the  challenges of Parkinson's in a very personal way.  The suggestions for reducing caregiver stress are also, "gifts" I can give to myself (and Don) to bless and sustain us in the coming days.  They are:
                                   1. Start a regular and realistic exercise program.
                                   2. Strengthen your social network (know your neighbors)
                                   3. Follow a well-balanced diet (fruit/veggies/grains)
                                   4. Avoid eating or drinking too much.
                                   5. Breathe deeply throughout the day.
                                   6. Quiet your mind with meditation, yoga, reading or prayer.
                                   7. Be impassioned about your life.

My favorite "gift" is number six.  My favorite scripture is "Be still and know that I am God."  I am, after all, one of his children and he loves me and he walks with me daily.  My role is not to ask "Why?", but to ask "What do you want me to learn or teach through this experience?" Don has been a great teacher for me and we are blessed to have each other as true "care partners"...I love that phrase.

1 comment:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete